Wednesday, June 3, 2009

20 Minutes of Truth



Yesterday was another 20 minute time trial to help determine my FTP (functional threshold power). FTP is approximately the power you can hold for an hour effort. It is also referred to as Anaerobic Threshold. To get an approximate FTP from a 20 minute time trial we just take 95% of the 20 minute power. We have then done hour long testing where Alan has asked me to sit within 5% of this power for an hour to confirm that we are close. This is even less fun than the 20 minute test.

Anyway, I did the 20min time trial in the afternoon, which typically doesn't work as well as the test done first thing in the morning. I guess the fact that I'm a morning person comes into play there. I always hit this test as a 20 minute easy warm up, 5 minutes at my old FTP, 10 minutes easy and then right into the meat, the 20 minute time trial.

When I hit my 5 minute effort yesterday the legs screamed at me and I wondered if I should really be hitting this test today. However, when I got to the 20 minute effort everything felt much better. Just a confirmation of the importance of a good warm up. I started the test trying to go hard but one effort level down from what I would want to hold for the entire test. The numbers looked good and I figured we would have an honest time trial today. At 5 minutes I tried to pick it up just slightly but within reason and at a power I thought I could hold for another ten minutes until the 15 minute mark. Then when I had 5 minutes left I tried to pick it up another notch. I typically find if I pace the 20 minute time trial correctly there is very little ability to pick it up in that last 5 minutes. I find that if I do pick it up its only by a few watts.

When all was done I ended up holding 302w for the 20 minute time trial giving me an estimated FTP of 287w. That's exactly where I was last test and I know that I can hold 95% of that for an hour based on earlier testing we did. I also know that for my longer sessions I can hold 70%-75% of that 287w which is what I need to do for Ironman. So, even though I did not see an "improvement" in my FTP I am very secure in the fact that I have enough top end power for long course racing to accomplish my goals. Alan and I will revisit some FTP specific training later on but for now my goal is to build the ability to go long and execute a solid Ironman at Lake Placid.

No comments: