Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Work + Rest = Fitness

After a bit of recovery last week it was time to try to hop back into the swing of things. Alan and I planned on hitting a big day of training exactly a week after the half ironman. My big day consisted of swim 4000yds (5x800), bike 112 miles, and run 6 miles. I knew going into this it might get ugly as my heart rate was very high for all my short recovery workouts leading into this one.

The day started with the swim and unfortunately I struggled to hit my typical base pace on these. I just chalked it up to a bad swim day and put it behind me. I then hopped on the bike and had no pep in the legs. I decided to just ride and see how things progressed. Unfortunately, I really never came out of it and ended the ride after about 75 miles.

I was a bit down on myself after the ride as now I had a race that I wasn't so happy with and a workout that further caused me to question what I'm doing and how fit I am. Luckily, I have great friends and a great girlfriend who told me how f'ing stupid I was being and they were completely right. I need to remember that fitness doesn't just disappear, it sometimes gets hidden by fatigue, but its still there and rest will bring it back. I know that like most triathletes, I have the work part of the equation down but sometimes (or most the time) unless the rest is forced it doesn't always happen. So, another easy day today and I will give it a go on Wednesday.

No comments: