Monday, March 9, 2009

Two more down...

Two more solid weeks in the books. Last week I was able to get in about 17hrs of training and this week just a bit under. It’s amazing how much harder 17hrs is when done during winter versus when done during summer.

I’ve been working hard on my swim technique this winter. Kari has me doing a ton of swimming with one of those freestyle snorkels allowing me to really focus on swimming from the core and not leading the stroke with my arms. I’ve always been pretty strong and fit so I think that I’ve been able to more or less “fake” the swim.

On the bike, it’s been more or less a bike maintenance schedule, working more on strength, mod-hard intervals etc., than endurance…duh, it’s the winter and all my training has been on the trainer. So, Alan and I have been rolling with the punches and not fighting back against Mother Nature. It’s been much better than last year although I have had some moving to CO moments where the winters are much milder. Oh, and the best part is that I’m seeing lifetime best power numbers.

Finally, on the run I had an early calf injury so I’ve been slowly building my mileage back up to the 40mi p.w. range. Alan has put forth the challenge of 50mi running weeks and I accept wholeheartedly.

There are now 3 more weeks until Endurance Corner Tucson Camp. Alan has made an executive decision to pull the reigns in and drop some fatigue before the camp. So, instead of trying to do some last minute cramming before the first test of the year we will be getting good night sleeps (me alone, not with Alan), reestablishing good habits such as 2x p.w. yoga and weights, and with the reduced volume I will need to put back in place my good eating habits. After this down time it’s off to camp and then full speed ahead into the Rockman Half Ironman and then Ironman Lake Placid.

1 comment:

Alan Couzens said...

Hey Bro,

Thanks for the clarification on the blog.

The last thing I need is to be one of those coaches who gets caught up in a sex scandal with one of his athletes... especially a male one! :-)

AC