Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Tucson Endurance Corner Training Camp


The first day began with a Monsy Muffin and a large cup of coffee. Thanks Monica!

We headed to the pool for an early swim. Alan provided the set which was a short warm up followed by 8x25 fly and then 20x100 swim. I felt really good in the pool leading our lane. Must be the masters work and Kari’s complete overhaul of my doggie paddle.

After our swim we headed back for breakfast but I decided to pass on brekkie and just snack on a buffet of power bars and Gatorade on my way out to Madera Canyon. Justin Daerr provided a civilized wheel out of town for the group until I had the honor of our first flat of the day. After a quick tire change we were back on our way out to Madera with several good pulls which ended up breaking up the peppy group into several smaller peppy groups. I ended up in the front group with Tony D. each of us taking good pulls at the front into a nasty wind. Some of the highlights of the ride included Dave putting together a monster solo bridge to catch up to Tony and me and then Dave dropping us on Madera Canyon. My lack of hot weather training was evident by the cramps in my legs from the ride up Madera and back down to Tucson. All in all is was a good first day hitting about 96 miles on the bike.

We had a good talk at dinner on riding the long ride given by KP and color commentary by Gordo, JD, and Alan. I’m looking nervously forward to tomorrow’s ride up Mt. Lemmon. It should be interesting to see what that ride did to my legs and how well I can bounce back in this early season camp. It’s another great group here in Tucson and I’m looking forward to learning more about them and myself as the week progresses.

2 comments:

Meredith said...

Sounds so fun..I love Madera, a very suspicious little climb...Take some pics...I need a slice of Lemmon....esp this time of the year...Just remember to fill your bottles...no h20 until PALISADEs..remember that....;0 I'll swim some IM for you tomorrow per Coach Justin

Josh said...

Madera crushed me. Lemmon was a blast today! I think there are some pics floating around. I think that you should save all the IM for yourself! I will be swimming plenty in the next couple of days. Have a good swim.