Thursday, May 21, 2009

Hill Repeat Wednesday

First off my condolences to the Larsen family. This has been on my mind a good portion of the last couple of days. As endurance athletes we push the boundaries of physical and mental limits on a daily basis. We reach a place of feeling almost invincible where we can take on any challenge and succeed. However, we are reminded that we too are human when tragedy such as this strikes. I suppose that the best we can do is just make sure we're living each day to its fullest.

With that being said Hill Repeat Wednesday was definitely a push in the right direction. The day started out with a 5:30 mount up onto the steed and we were off into the sunrise on a beautiful 60 degree summer morning in Madison. I spun out to Cross Plains and then, thanks to Blake Becker, I had a little workout route planned out. I rode route KP to F to J (which is pretty flat out to the turnoff to F and then F basically continues rolling with a gradual uphill until J) at my Ironman effort. At J the hill repeat portion began. The portion of Route F after J is exactly a 4mi hill climb. I spent close to 90min going up and down that hill at a half ironman effort (240-260w). My last interval I decided to give er a little more juice and ended up around 270w for the climb. After the last climb I rode back home at Ironman effort through the beautiful rolling green hills of Wisconsin back home in time to catch my conference call and start the "real world" part of my day.

I felt great, probably due to my new commitment to my foam roller, and was able to sneak in a 3.5 mile run right before dinner. Yes, a great day...however, I might not have the energy (or time) to repeat that one as often as I'd like...bummer.

No comments: