Saturday, May 30, 2009

Smoked.

Well, after a solid Wednesday, my last half ironman specific brick, I'm feeling well, smoked.

Wednesday was pouring rain so I ended up riding 1hr easy on the trainer, followed by 90min at Ironman power (about 210-220w) followed by 2x30min at half ironman power (220-250w). So, after close to 4hrs on the trainer, I headed outside for my run.

The run consisted of 2mi in zone 2, 5mi at zone 3 or low zone 4 and then a cool down. This tempo run has been real tough for me to nail due to mistakes with nutrition and starting the run too fast. I ended up taking it out what felt like an easy pace but in reality, worked out to about 7min/mile. Probably due to my aggressive start on the run, I ended up with a nasty side stitch. I was thinking, here we go again with a crap T-run, but as I learned from my last couple runs if I just take it down a notch and jog a bit I might be able to work it out. Sure enough, the side stitch subsided and I was able to keep it rolling finishing off the 5 miles a touch over 35min. I was very happy with the way the workout went.

Thursday was a technique swim with Coach Kari, and Friday was a solid swim and short run.

I was going to race a 5k this morning but due to an "on the edge sore throat" I decided to bail on the race and run easy with some short pickups on the track. I was surprised by my leg speed on the track hitting the majority of my 200m repeats right around 37-38s. I took a solid nap after that session and will do a bit of a spin to loosen up the legs. Hopefully I will be able to regain my mojo here in the next couple days and then put together a solid half at Rockman next week.

No comments: