Monday, May 18, 2009

Last couple of days

Sunday:
85mi bike/7mi run

I revisited a workout on Sunday that I did a couple of weeks ago. The goal was 90min easy, 90min steady, and 90min tempo. I was able to find some decent flatter roads to really focus on holding the prescribed power (sub 190w ez, 190w-220w steady, 220-260w tempo). The workout went well although I ran out of fuel in the beginning of my tempo set and just kept going because I was feeling good. This later would bite me right in the you know where on the run.

The data: easy-163w av/181w NP/115bpm av
steady-196w av/204w NP/129bpm av
tempo-223w av/230w NP/142 bpm av

From the bike I went right into a tempo run. The goal was 2mi to build (try to hold sub 150bpm) to 7min pace then 5mi at 7min/mi pace and 1 mi easy. This didn't go so well. The first two miles were decent and I avg'd 7:04/mi (145bpm). Maybe a bit quick to start. Then, in the middle of mile 3 I started getting crampy and couldn't take on nutrition because not only were my legs cramping but so was my gut. So, I slowed down a bit until the cramping eased up and started taking in nutrition. I ended up cutting the tempo portion to 4mi (7:20/mi pace/156bpm) and jogging in the last mile ez. I ended up with 7 miles done in 51:52 (152av). I was pretty well spent and ended up ordering a tomato/basil pizza to go with my recovery smoothie.

Monday:
18.5 mile run

I woke up on Monday and felt actually pretty good. I was on the fence on whether or not I wanted to hit the 18 mile planned run today. In fact I shot an email to coach Al telling him I probably was not going to hit it after I got back from my workout yesterday.

I was still on the fence when I ran the first loop of the arboretum. I am now doing all my long runs as 15 minutes running followed by 30 seconds of "airport" walking to take in some nutrition and reset. I just kept on clicking off 15 minute sets and pretty soon I was bringing it home. I ended up running the rolling course in a touch over 2:19. Oh yeah, that was about 18.5 miles. i averaged a 7:31/mi (142bpm) and picked it up the last couple miles averaging 7:16/mi (148bpm) on a mostly uphill section. I was pretty happy with that run.

Now its time to recover a bit. I hope that wasn't too much and my body doesn't rebel.

No comments: