Saturday, May 9, 2009

Big Days

Today was the first of my Big Days leading up to Ironman Lake Placid.

The day began with 5x800yds swim descending each 800. I started the first one with my Finis swim snorkel to work on balancing out the stroke and then descended each 800 from there. I played around with some pace changes throughout the 800s just to keep it interesting. The last 800 I did as 100 ez/200 steady/100 mod-hard and then repeated it. I was very happy with the way I felt in the pool even though I definitely am carrying some fatigue in the body.

Next was a bike ride and since the weather was quite crappy today I decided to do this on the trainer. I also decided to go the trainer route as my buddy Tim gave me some good ideas for IM Placid training and I really wanted to stick in to IM specific zones. So, with the input of Tim and of course Coach AC I hit the trainer and knocked out 4x50min IM specific intervals aiming for 200-220w building each interval. The set went well and felt VERY IM specific. I really need to find some good flat riding or slightly rolling here in Madison so that I'm not limited to the trainer when trying to keep in a specific power zone.

Finally, I capped off the day with a six mile run. I took out the first couple miles keeping my heart rate under 140 and then let the heart rate drift into a low steady effort. I ended up right around 45min for my six mile run and went home to finish off the big day with a big ice bath.

Tomorrow is an early 15 mile run and then Mother's Day festivities.

3 comments:

KP said...

Nice! Gotta love the 800 repeats to get you ready for a 'bike check'. ROCK ON!

Lucho said...

Another session leading up to Kona was always 4 X 1:00(h)at goal wattage on full recovery, followed by a 1:00 run at 20" faster than goal IM pace. I think these bricks are ideal for dialing in nutrition and hydration.
Nice work.. 4 X 50:00 on a trainer is nails.

Josh said...

Thanks Lucho. Just doing what it takes.

I appreciate the all the great ideas. Don't want to leave anything on the table for this race.