Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Catching Up

Thursday
Swim
Ride-1:51

After a solid effort on Wednesday I backed it up on Thurs. with close to a 2hr ride w/some 30s big gear efforts in the 300w range. My legs were a bit heavy inititally but that was to be expected and the 30s intervals woke them up. After my ride I hit a short swim and called it a day.

Friday
Run-6.75mi
Swim

I met up with my buddy and old coach Tim this morning. Tim coached me when I was preparing for the Great Floridian Triathlon. I placed 5th on the day and won my age group with a solidly executed race. In the offseason after that race, I lost my job, my Grandfather passed away, and soon after I was relocating to Madison, WI. I popped out of triathlon for a bit just to get my life which is typically easy and light, back to a good place without the additional stress of preparing for races. I ended up with a new job, a new house, a new girlfriend, a new dog and felt like the Talking Heads Song for awhile where I was thinking how the heck did I get here? But, it is all good and well, I have an Ironman in a couple of weeks.

So, I was really looking forward to this run as I learn so much everytime I talk with Tim. It was an easy run out S. Boulder Trail but today wasn't about physical fitness as it was about mental fitness. By the time I was done with the run I was in a great place and felt very good about my upcoming Ironman.

I added a swim onto the day and practiced my rocket ship arms with Andy Caplan.

Saturday
Swim-3200m
Bike-3:45/67mi
Run-2.5mi

This was supposed to be a long day but after the high heart rates on Wed. and a little bit of lingering fatigue I thought it would be better to back this off a bit. Better safe than sorry.

I met up with my first friend from Boulder, Jeff Keil and his super fit and fast wife Jenni and hit a bit of a swim prior to our bike. My swim was very simple, 4x800m as 2x swim, where I definitely felt the altitude. Then I tossed on a bouy and hit another 800 and then a final 800 w/some nice big paddles.

From there (after a bit of a coffee break) we got on our bikes, did a bit of a spin then I hit 45min around my IM power. I didn't want to push too hard as my heart rate was already a touch high from the altitude and I wasn't feeling super peppy. Then a bit of an easy spin, a stop to refuel, and back to a 20min effort at IM power then a 20min climb at IM climbing power and a spin home. Jeff and Jenni just tagged along and played Iron Sherpa which was so freakin cool of them. Jeff and I talked all about Ironman, his training, my training, my upcoming race and similar to my time with Tim I felt very much at peace with my upcoming Ironman. I really miss my friends out in Boulder

To end the day Le Jeff and I went for a short run to top off the day where I definitely felt the effects of a day of training at altitude. It was a good day.

Sunday/Monday
Ride-1:25
Run-4mi

On Sunday I just hit a short easy spin and a 4mi run, just to keep the wheels rolling and then took Monday off other than an hour of technique work in the pool with Kari.

No comments: