Monday, July 20, 2009

One Week to Race Day

In the last few weeks leading to race day my mood tends to be based upon key workouts leading into race day. Let's just say I've been up and down...

Tuesday I had a very good swim which was a sign things were coming around. Typically, my swim pace falls off if I'm a bit tired. My run on Tuesday was also pretty good with heart rate, perceived exertion, and pace all lining up.

Wednesday was a progressive run starting easy at 8min/mile pace and dropping to 7min/mi pace. This workout was a bit goofy with the heat and my heart rate, perceived exertion and pace all out of whack. Let's just say I was a bit out of sorts after this run.

A big day was in order for Thursday. I started off with a 3000yd swim which similar to Tuesday went really well. I had a great bike workout with 3x10min hill repeats where I found it very easy to hit my target power and then a short 6 mile run where my heart rate was a touch high but pace came very easy.

Friday was a 6 mile run day and man were my legs sluggish. My HR was also super sluggish for the day so it all lined up and I just went out very easy and came back with five short pickups at about 5k pace.

Saturday was a recovery day with just a short open water swim with a few 6min pickups and a recovery bike for 80min with a few 30s strength repeats.

Sunday was my last big day. I started on the bike and rode for an hour super easy. Super easy is relative here in Madison as the flats and downhills can be easy but you still have plenty of ups. I think the only way for me to do recovery rides is on the trainer. Then I hit 3x20min at my low tempo power, 220w-240w, which is just a step above my steady of 180-220w. It was harder to get my power up into the zone this workout as compared to Wednesday and my heart rates were on the low side. I also find that pushing a tempo power on the rollers is a lot harder than pushing it on an uphill. So, another sluggish day.

After the ride I hit a 6 mile run at my starting Ironman pace of 8:20/mi. Then for the final mile I picked it up to target pace for miles 6-26.2. For Placid I'd like to be sitting in the 7:50-8:00 range/mile on the marathon. For me to do that I will give myself 6mi of jogging at 8:20-8:30/mi. Then at mile 6 I will just try to sit on the 7:50-8:00/mi as long as possible. If there is anything left at mile 20 then I will use it up at that point, not before. So, that run was super easy and felt good even though I was still a bit sluggish.

I really feel that this is a good goal and for my long runs of 18mi+ I've been able to run right around a 7:30/mi pace (with my walking breaks) so I think its doable. I've been practicing is walking for 30s every 2mi so that my body gets used to walking a bit and taking on calories at aid stations.

That's all for now. Getting excited for Placid.

No comments: