Thursday, December 18, 2008

Rest Week


This week is a rest week. On rest weeks Zoe (the pup) spends quality time resting with dad. We took a few days early on this week, Monday and Tuesday to recover a bit. Monday was very light with just a yoga session to keep things limber and loose. Zoe hit her own downward dog which looks a lot better than mine. On Tuesday, I opted for the optional Masters session. To me this was a good sign as I was also given the option of an easy solo swim or sleeping in. If I am in dire need of a rest week I would have normally picked the sleep in option. So, even though we are training consistently with a bit of quality I think that we are at a good level considering where we are in the season.

We picked things up a bit on Wed. hitting a 3x20 run. This is one of my favorite runs where I give er 20mins easy (under steady), 20mins steady, then 20mins tempo. Things went well and I finished off the run with some good mod hard running at a 6:40min/mi. I never crossed threshold and this pace was definitely the what the coach prescribed. Moving forward this will be a key workout as testing at the Endurance Corner Labs showed that I was very strong at Ironman pace (steady) but things started to tail off at mod-hard and more so at threshold range (see chart).

Wed. afternoon I finished things off with a short strength workout. I warmed up and then hit several short intervals at my VO2 max watts (330w-380w).

This morning I hit masters once again where we performed several repeats of 100yd IMs. I will finish off the day with an easy run and some strength work in the gym.

Things are a rolling.

No comments: