Monday, December 29, 2008

Week in Review-Dec. 22nd

Swim-14,100yds
Bike-6hrs
Run-27 miles

This has been an interesting week. Volume was good for my current swim and bike goals. I was able to get in three solid 4000yd sets in the pool and then a short fourth swim. We hit a solid Tuesday swim of 4 sets of 5x100 descending the interval. Each set was right after the other with no additional rest. I started on a 1:40 send off then 1:35, 1:30, and finally 1:25. I shot for another set at 1:20 but only lasted for one interval. My short swim came about after I hit the pool and felt plenty of soreness in the lats. I swam a 1000yd warm up and then did a short 400-300-200-100 yd pull set. I thought I was going to be super pathetic but ended up swimming a very solid base pace. Go figure.

On the bike I was able to get the volume in but had a little power meter snafu. I think when I did my last test the power meter was not zeroed correctly and my test was a bit high. At first I was bummed about that but, the reason I train is to become the best athlete I can be. Blake was right on the money when he said not to worry about the number but do the best you can in training each day. So, after re-zeroing the torque we will see how the workouts progress and will hit another test at some point to determine some training zones.

Fell a touch short on where I wanted to be on the run but the crappy weather as well as Christmas closings didn't help much. I started to put together some semblance of a long run at 9 miles but still have a bit to go on the run volume and running in general. I think I need to take a step back and ease into the run with a foremost focus on bringing my miles back up to a respectable, at least for a triathlete, level.

On a separate note, yoga as a supplement to training is key. I think I will save that idea for another entry.

Onward

1 comment:

Lucho said...

Happy New Year Josh! All the best..
Tim