Sunday, December 21, 2008

Saturdays

Saturday's are typically my long day. For Ironman, the long day starts with a swim followed by a long ride and then a short run off the bike. Since it is only December and my Ironman (IMUSA) is several months out, not to mention its -3F currently, the winter long day tends to be a shorter day. Right now Coach Alan and I are working on my bike power in my moderate hard zone, a.k.a, half IM power, 240w-280w etc. This past Saturday consisted of a short warm up followed by 2x40min at steady (IM) power and then 3x8min in my big ring holding half IM power. I really liked the format of this ride and will continue to build the number of 8min intervals as my fitness progresses.

Later that afternoon I did a short run focusing on leg speed. Eventhough my focus is Ironman I think it is very important to remind the legs how to run fast. This workout consisted of a warmup and then 8x30s at current 5k pace on a 3min interval with a focus on high rpm (95+). Each time I do this workout I get more and more comfy at my current 5k pace.

No comments: