Saturday, December 6, 2008

Thursday and Friday Fun

Thursday
Swim Masters 3200yds/Run 40min

Thursday started off with Masters swimming….just a combination of kicking, drills, and a little bit of swimming to complete the set. I then went over to the gym for an easy treddie run. The legs were coming around nicely so I decided to add five 30 second pickups at 5k pace to the run. That really felt good as my legs were feeling pretty heavy all week until those pickups. I just read Brad Hudson’s book and Alan and I plan on incorporating some of his ideas into my running.

Friday
Swim Masters 3000yds/Treddie Run Test/Lift/Yoga

Masters was very challenging this morning. The main set was 3x300yds with 15s rest then 3x100 with 10s of rest (no extra rest after the last 100) repeated 3 times. The twist was the 300s started at 95% and dropped to 80% effort while the 100s started at 80% effort and built to 95-100%. I was very happy with this set and hit 3:58 for the first 300yds and was coming in around 1:18 or so for the last 3x100. Coach Justin mentioned that there were definitely some things I need to work on with my stroke including better rotation to the right side and to be aware of the left arm as it is still swinging a bit wide. Back to the drills that Coach Alan prescribed last year for the wide left arm.

After that effort I shot over to the gym for a run and since my legs were feeling pretty good I decided to hit a treddie step test. I started the test at 6.5mph (1% grade) and built up by 0.5mph and 5min intervals to 10mph. I tracked my average and max heart rate through the test. Alan and I have decided to use this workout as a way to track progress during the season. I was happy with this initial result although I think I felt that Master’s set in my legs by the time I got to 10mph. In addition to this test we will also be running some time trials to keep things honest. I followed up the run with some easy maintenance lifting. I was only lifting once per week but wanted to focus a bit more on general fitness this time of year with frequent lifting and yoga which I have been doing with Lauren. Friday night yoga at Bliss Flow with Lauren is a nice way to wind down the work week.

This weekend will consist of a “long” steady ride followed by a run on Saturday and an endurance focused swim plus a strength focused ride on Sunday.

Cheers

No comments: